What is Physiotherapy?
- Physiotherapy is a science healthcare profession that views movement as central to health and well being. Core skills used by Chartered Physiotherapists include manual therapy, therapeutic exercise, sport specific rehabilitation and the use of electrophysical modalities (ultrasound, TENS and interferential therapy). Physiotherapists also use ‘hands on’ manual therapy techniques such as joint mobilisations, manipulation and massage to restore function and minimise dysfunction after disease or injury.
What conditions can physiotherapists treat?
- Back pain and sciatica
- Sports injuries
- Postural problems
- Rehabilitation pre/post orthopaedic surgery
- Soft tissue (muscle/ligament/tendon) injuries
- Upper and lower limb injuries
- Neck pain and whiplash
- Nerve entrapment
- Arthritic joint pain
Do I need to check my physiotherapist is registered professionally?
- Yes. All Mirfield Pro Therapy staff are Chartered physiotherapists and members of the Health Professions Council (HPC) who have undertaken extensive undergraduate and post graduate study to practice. Chartered Physiotherapists are governed by a professional code of conduct and covered by professional liability insurance. To check our registered physiotherapists please visit www.hpccheck.org
How long is a physiotherapy appointment?
- The initial physiotherapy appointment takes 1 hour and includes a thorough assessment and treatment. Subsequent appointments usually take 30 minutes. 1 hour appointments are available if required.
How many appointments will I need?
- There is no pre-determined number of appointments for a specific condition – individual’s response to treatment varies.
What can I expect when I receive Physiotherapy?
- An initial assessment is undertaken that consists of a thorough review of your present complaint, previous episodes, related health matters and general health. A physical examination and relevant neurological examination is then undertaken to determine a clinical diagnosis. Examination findings will be discussed with you in an entirely understandable manner and a personal treatment plan developed. Within this initial appointment a treatment will be performed and you may be given an home exercise programme to optimise your recovery and prevent relapses. Every opportunity will be given for you to ask any questions you have about your diagnosis and treatment. Mirifeld Pro Therapy is unique in that we provide appointments in the comfort of your own home, work place, sports club or gym.
Follow up appointments to apply the treatment plan may be suggested and modification of this or your home exercise programme made as your condition progresses. A review of developments since your previous appointment and re-evaluation of important clinical tests will be undertaken. Again every opportunity will be given for you to ask any questions you have about your diagnosis and treatment.
what should I wear?
- If you have a lower back or a lower limb complaint we recommend the wearing of shorts to be suitable for the physiotherapist to assess you. If you have a neck or upper extremity complaint we recommend the wearing of a vest to be suitable. For running related injuries we also recommend having running shoes available.
Is a GP’s referral needed to see a physiotherapist?
- No, a GP’s referral is not necessary if you are paying for treatment yourself. For individuals who have private medical insurance you may be required to have a medical referral to receive reimbursement of treatment charges. Some policies require a GP referral. Please check details with your insurance company.
Does my GP need to know I am having physiotherapy treatment?
- No. However, If you would like us to inform your GP regarding we will write and keep them informed regarding your condition.
Will I be expected to do anything between appointments?
- To optimise your recovery and prevent relapses an appropriate home exercise programme and advice will be provided depending upon your diagnosis and individual circumstances. Your compliance to this will often significantly improve your recovery and overall outcome.
What are your payment terms?
- Payments can be made following each appointment by cash or cheque.
If I have private medical insurance do I need to pay for a physiotherapy appointment?
- Each private medical insurance company operate a different method regarding payment. Our ‘Medical Insurance Company’ page provides further information and useful contact telephone numbers for most major private medical insurance companies.
What is the policy for cancellation and missed appointments with Mirfield Pro Therapy?
- Due to the high demand for appointments a charge for missed appointments and cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be made at the same rate of a booked appointment.
I require more detail regarding the information within the FAQs page – what should I do?
- Our friendly and highly experienced staff are more than happy to discuss any questions that you may have about any of the details above. In the unlikely event you can not find the information you were searching for above, please contact us today through email or call us on 07570 163600